Ben's satellite page
This page is updated frequently. Please visit often as details can
- Dish locations
- Pole on side of building - Gawler, Broken Hill
- Tall pole in ground - Stirling, Barossa(?)
- Possible locations for
- Weekly Event calendar for 2001 (old -
see below for official info)
- Links to relevant sites
- Links to projector info. (prices include GST. Leedall
includes wheel about case)
EMP-500 (800 lumens. Small, lightweight $6160 @ Leedall,
incl 24 month warranty)
EMP-5350 (1500 lumens. Bright. Discounted price deal: $6490
- (1000 lumens. Nice projector, unfortunately has a blue tint /
cold picture $6820 @ Leedall)
- Philips SV20 - (1250 lumens. Nice projector, lacks some
features but otherwise good. Normally $7500+GST($8250), deal
for $7150 incl GST @ B&H, before Christmas (30 day
- Download reports: RTF files, most word processors should be
able to read them.
- View an estimate of the total price.
- When are the following occuring:
- AMC order arriving?
- I am planning on spending some time in Broken Hill next
year, as well as Congress.
News and information
- We have decided on the Epson EMP-5350 deal at
$5900 ex gst, including a wheel-about case worth approx $185
- Will it be ceiling mounted? I have details of how to
construct a mount.
- If it will be ceiling mounted, a larger screen may have
to be installed at the same time, otherwise the ceiling
mount may have to be shifted (a lot of hassle).
- Dish from Antenna World is better quality than
"Comstar" dishes and approximately same price.
- Quare on quality of Broken Hill and Gawler dishes - they
are apparently ok despite claims to contary.
- LNB covers can be purchased separatley and installed:
Broken Hill has done this. I saw $25 somewhere.
- I have borrowed a "Satellite Handbook" from uni. It has
lots of info about installing dishes, although some info is
not applicable since it is a UK book. It seems to be
targeted at dish installers.
- Decisions and so on
- We are getting a dish.
- I understand AMC order has been placed.
- See Council Approval below
- AMC prices do not reflect a package deal, however they
recommend we buy the "standard package" so we are the same as
everyone else for technical assistance and instructional
reasons. Local dish would probably come with local support.
- I might be able to provide transport from AMC via youth
congress, saving freight charges (if the equipment can get to
Ballarat, also depending on my mode of transport)
- Meetings / decisions
- What is satellite
evangelism - done. I have notes
and transparency masters for the video. I hope this helped
everyone, I haven't heard much feedback yet. Unfortuatley
everyone was in a hurry and it was a hot day.
- Projector - Done. We chose EMP 5350 as above. I
have notified both companies of our decision and have told
Leedall that we wish to hold purchase until funds are
availble early next year.
- Satellite - which dish, where to locate. Where to locate
equipment. Apparently dish from Antenna World is better
quality than Comstar dishes. About same price. I understand
the AMC order has been placed.
- Transport for items purchased from AMC/Sydney. If they
can be shipped to Balarat, I could bring them back.
- Part three of the AGCN video - "Effective preparation
and use of satellite evangelism" Duration 33 minutes. This
explains one method of performing satellite evangelism and
is rather comprehensive. I think it would be wise to do this
once we have the projector, and allow for discussion
afterwards on how it all applies to us.
- Will we update the building so it complies with "public
space" codes for use at night?
- Do we install exit lights? (can be expensive)
- This may also require a ramp at the entry.
- Where do we put the equipment?
- This may depend on where the dish goes
- Do we construct a (lockable) cabinet?
- AGCN installation instructions recomend a
lockable steel cabinet, however I think this is a
world-wide generalisation. Something simpler may be
adequate for us.
- The church has been broken into previously, but I
understand nothing has been touched.
- Opinions have been voiced about upgrading security -
current external doors are not solid. Deadlocks could be
installed as well.
- Council approval
- Birdwood is under the Adelaide Hills Council
- Development approval is required for dishes greater than
1.2 M diameter within townships.
- They require
- Site plan showing distances from buildings
- Details of dish - generally from manufacturer (seems
to be dimensions, appearance and dish height)
- Development application form
- I have a development application form.
- Schedule 21 or 22 of dev. reg 1993
not applicable. (dish is not a piggery, helicopter
landing site..) Not Brukunga, Not near airport.
- Unsure of other answers
Updated December 20, 2000