Ben's Secondary Education
I undertook my secondary education (High School, grades 8 to 12)
at Prescott College. It
in Prospect in Adelaide and run by the
Yr 11 and 12:
I studied the following subjects in Yr 12:
- PAS English (PAS)
- Physics (PES)
- Business Studies (PAS)
- Maths 1 (PES)
- Information Technology (SAS)
- Bible (Internal)
In Yr 11:
- Australian Studies
- Maths 2
- Business Studies
- Maths 1
Why did I do these subjects? Either becuase I had to, becuase I
enjoyed it or becuase I achieved well in it.
Ben's tips to choosing subjects:
- Choose subjects you enjoy. It makes it easier for you.
- Choose subjects that you excell in to help you achieve well
- Choose subjects that will let you get where you want, and that
give you plenty of options.
- Choose subjects that will assist you getting a higher TER
- If a subject isn't a prerequisite or assumed knowledge for a
course you want, you don't have to do it. Doing a subject in the
area of a course you want may help, but it could make it boring.
Ben's general tips for Yr 11 and 12:
- Manage your time. Study in blocks of 20-30 minutes, with 5 min
- Commit yourself and be enthusiastic
- Don't wear yourself out.
- Set realistic goals
- Keep informed
- Find out what you need to learn. Obtain a copy of the sylibus
- Make sure that you know what the objectives are in assignments
(especially for PAS subjects). Do not simply answer the question,
forfil the objectives as well as that is what you are marked by.
- Keep track of how important each assignment and test is. Spend
more resources preparing for the more important ones. Do not
neglect the less important ones: you will learn from them.
(however there may be occations where it is best to sacrifice a
less-important item for a more-important one)
- Do some study in your holidays, especially in year 12. A
solution that worked for me is: Work from 9:00 am untill
lunchtime. Then take the rest of the day off. This depends on your
- Lastly: for Year 12: Reduce your social life to one day of the
week OR a few hours per week. I'm not joking - it will help you
significantly. If you need more socail activity, mix with other
year 12 students. You are all in it together, so help each other
I hope to add more to this page at a later date.
Back to Ben's education page
Back to Ben's main page.